Sunday, July 1, 2012

I worked in the garden this morning, but didn't take any pictures.

Maybe sometime this week.  I figured out the Mockingbirds have been trying to eat the tomatoes as they ripen, so I ordered some bird netting on Amazon and put it over the entire top of the garden enclosure.  A few days later, the birds had figured out they are small enough to fly THROUGH the fence, so I took the top off and wrapped each individual tomato plant with the netting.  I'm really hoping that works!!!  I've gotten quite a few tomatoes out of the garden, a few radishes and FINALLY the cucumbers and zucchini have started to produce! Still waiting on the onions, I've pretty much decided those won't be large enough to harvest until late summer/early fall.

I was sitting out in the garden one Monday morning enjoying my coffee and Kindle, when Brute saw some deer in the neighbors back yard.  Being the tough guy that he is, he started off at full speed to get the deer, but instead when head-first into the side of the garden.  He cried for a little and couldn't use his front feet for a few minutes, but then seemed OK.  I was busy working Tues, Wed, and Thurs and also dealing with some family issues, and it wasn't until that Friday that I noticed he just wasn't himself.  Called the vet and they couldn't get him in until Monday. All weekend I was beside myself thinking he did something really bad and I'd have to put him down  :(  .  Sunday night he wouldn't even be in the living room with me - he was all by himself on the other side of the house!!!!  Anyway, the vet said he had Whiplash!  Gave him some muscle relaxants, pain pills and anti-inflammatories and he was getting better by Wednesday morning.  (What a relief!!!)  Now he'd pretty much back to himself.   Since his neck was sore, the vet said it would be a good idea to raise his food and water, so I did that and decided to leave them like that.  I used an old box from one of our laptops and just wrapped it with some "dog footprint" flannel I had.  He also has some "belly bands" that match, along with mattresses for his kennel - he's a SPOILED DOG!!!!
Photobucket
I've heard many people say it's better for dogs to have their food up, anyway.

I'll try to get some more pictures of the garden and the harvest - I have a bunch of tomatoes ripening on the window sil in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment