Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cruise Journal - Day 3 - Curacao, 6/15/10

Royal Caribbean International cruise June 13 to 20, 2010
Serenade of the Seas

Today’s Compass:
Cruise Compass day 3

Woke up at 6 am again to find us arriving in Curacao.  What a beautiful island!  So colorful.  The ship pulled in so the pier was on our side and we watched it be tethered to the dock. 
Photobucket

The view of the bridge from our balcony:
Photobucket

I had ordered breakfast for us since we’re having our couples massage  at 8 am.  It was delivered at 7 and we ate it out on the balcony.  Today we had scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon and coffee - T also had baked pastries and apple juice.
Photobucket
I put a couple flags on the window of the balcony for a couple reasons - 1) it is FLAG DAY and 2) so that when we are in port, I can figure out which one is our cabin.  (Pictures to follow)
I could SO get used to someone delivering breakfast every morning!

Massage - we picked “Couples Hot Stones Heaven” - from the pamphlet - “This indulging massage will send your mind, body and soul into a heavenly state.  Your muscles will be totally renewed with the combination of rhythmic massage and the power of warm volcanic stones.  Working with the key energy points of the body leaving you totally relaxed.  50 minutes”   This was the first massage I’ve ever had and it was GREAT!  I was worried about being too ticklish, but it wasn’t so bad after I got used to it.  The volcanic stones were kept in a roaster at about 300 degrees, and they also had to massage oil heated up.  The lady that did my massage had me take a couple of deep breaths and she put a hot stone on my lower back and one mid-back and left them there while she massaged my legs and feet.  After the massages, they put Todd and my hands together and rang a little bell over them and we were done.  (of course, they tried to sell the massage oils to us, but they were over $100 and we decided to say no thanks.)

After the massages, we made a quick trip back to the stateroom to shower and get ready to go ashore.  L decided not to go, so we took off by ourselves. We walked a little ways taking pictures of the ship.

Docked in Curaco

         
This was taken pretty close to the ship - you can see the flags on our balcony window!  (look two decks above the very front of the first lifeboat)
Photobucket

We traded pictures with another couple. (We took their picture and they took ours).
Photobucket

Photobucket

I saw this license plate with the abbreviation of TX on it and had to snap a picture:
Photobucket

Pictures of the buildings close to port:
Photobucket

Photobucket

We walked through the “floating market” - I saw this fruit and didn’t know what it was, so took a picture.  If anyone know what it is, please tell me via a comment!
          Photobucket                                                                                                                                                                      
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After being out for a little while, our feet were hurting (and I had twisted my ankle), so we started to head back to the ship for lunch and to check on L.  I saw an electronics store and told T I wanted to go in and look at lenses for my camera.  The Canon Rebel XS only came with a 18 - 55mm lens and I’ve been wanting to get another one for the trip.  We went in to see what they had and ended up buying a 55 - 250mm lens.  I’m hoping when I get home and check on prices we didn’t get ripped off!  Should have researched it some more before we left, but at least we have it for the rest of the cruise.  On the way back to the ship we took more pictures this time with the new lens and we could see our balcony much better!
Photobucket

Got back to the ship around 2, called L and he went to the Windjammer with us - he had already eaten lunch, but said he'd have some more dessert.  Which he did, but then he went back to get more food and MORE DESSERT!!!  We are so glad he's eating good.  I've never seen him eat so much, but he really needs it.   He's gone through a lot in the last year, and it's nice to see him having fun and eating well.  After a late lunch, we went to Guest Relations to cash a few travelers checks, then back to the stateroom to relax before supper.  Tonight it's "Business Casual", so no shorts.  Glad I brought one pair of long pants!!!!

B&C are scuba diving and snorkeling with CC people today, so I'm anxious to hear how it went.

Supper was great.  And we were joined by two women who missed the ship in San Juan, so they had to fly to Curacao and board there.  They seem very nice, and I'm sure we'll get to know them better as the week goes on, also.  Escargot was on the menu as an appetizer, so we decided to try it.  They really didn’t have much taste, but the topping was good - I’m guess it was made out of bread crumbs, parmesean cheese and butter.  It was the only time they serve it on the cruise and was pretty good.  The entire wait staff sang songs for us and I was sad I didn't take my camera.  They also had cookbooks for sale, so we decided to get one.  That also entitled us to Galley Tour which will be later in the week.  Can't WAIT!   It will be fun to try some recipes from it.

After supper we went to see the main show - The Royal Caribbean Singers & Dancers in "Stage to Screen" (Salute to Broadway shows that made their way from the Broadway Stage to the Silver Screen)  I thought it was good, but L was not impressed.  ;D   After that, Todd went to gamble (like father, like son - ha!) and I went back to the stateroom.   Watched part of "Julie & Julia", then went to sleep.


We had a surprise from our room steward after dinner, a towel animal!!!  He was sitting next to tomorrow's Compass.
Photobucket
A BUNNY!

Just a couple other pictures I took:
Storm very close!
Photobucket
Photobucket

A shop in Curacao I had to take a picture of for my daughter
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Tomorrow - - ARUBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment