Thursday, October 1, 2009

We're in Nebraska again.

Todd's mom was hospitalized a few weeks ago and took a turn for the worse on September 21. We waited until Tuesday (30th) to leave Texas (3:45 am). After driving all day, we made it to Falls City, dropped the dogs off at the house and then went to the hospital. We got there at 4:50 pm and she passed away at 5:05. They had removed her feeding tube about 10 minutes before we got there and were hooking her up to morphine as we arrived because she was having problems breathing. We were in the hall talking with the nurse for a few minutes, and went back into the room in time for her last few breaths. We were all glad that we made it in time - Todd's dad was especially glad - he told me he worried all day that she wouldn't hold on until we got there.

So all the plans have been made. Sunday evening we'll have an hour of family visitation at the funeral home and Monday we'll have the memorial service at church. She decided she wanted to be cremated, so we didn't need to pick out a casket, clothes for her or pallbearers. That really made it pretty easy for us to plan. We are getting three small urns for her ashes, one will be for Todd's dad, one for his brother and one for us.Link to online obituary

Today we completed the arrangements, tomorrow we just need to get Dad's suit from the dry-cleaners. Saturday Todd and I are heading to IL to get Grandma Rena. We'll stay there Saturday night and come back on Sunday. We (Grandma Rena, Todd and I) are staying all week because Todd's nephew is getting married in Kansas City on the 10th. We'll drive home on the 11th so Todd can go back to work on the 12th. And speaking of work - I was offered a position with Alpine Access, a work-at-home company. I was supposed to start training yesterday, but since I had to commit to 30 days training with 100% attendance. It was offered to me after Todd's mom was in the hospital, but before we realized she probably wasn't going to get better. So Todd and I discussed it and last Monday I told them that I couldn't commit to the 30 days training due to her condition. They were very nice and just said I can contact them again when I can.

So that's the update for now. It will be nice to see Grandma again and that she will be able to attend the wedding, but I worry about Todd's dad after everyone goes home. I hope he will do fine and I'm worrying about nothing. And it will be nice to get home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment